Pet dander is the bane of existence for many lovers of dogs, cats, rabbits and furry or feathery creatures. That’s because dander, or skin flakes, can trigger allergies to the thing they care about most: their pets.
Pet dander basics
It consists of skin flakes that are often microscopic in size. When skin sheds from the body of animals with fur, hair or feathers, it floats through the air and lands on objects around the home. Because of the microscopic size and jagged shape, dander easily sticks to surfaces, upholstery and bedding. It can easily be spread throughout the home.
What causes pet allergies?
Dander contains a protein that causes allergic reactions in many people. It is also found in the urine and saliva of animals. Thus, whenever, a dog empties its bladder, the protein from urine can stick to the skin. Then once that skin is shed, it contains an extra dose of the allergy-triggering material. Similarly, because saliva also contains the protein, when your pet licks its fur, it also compounds the problem.
The allergic reaction
So how is an allergic reaction triggered, as a biological process? When a person with a pet allergy breathes in the skin flakes containing the protein, the immune system responds as if it is under attack by potentially harmful invaders. The immune system creates an antibody, which in turn stimulates mast cells, leading to the allergic reaction.
How to clean the air from dander
- Vacuum your home frequently
- Brush your pet regularly to remove dead skin cells and fur. Ideally, do so outside—and wear a mask
- Select carpeting with a low pile and steam clean it frequently or use throw rugs and wash them in hot water
- Keep your pet out of the bedroom and especially off the bed
- Wash dog toys frequently to remove dried saliva
- Wear a mask when cleaning a litter box
- Use a smart air purifier with a HEPA filter like Coway Airmega to remove airborne dander
Dander fast facts
- More pet dander is sloughed off in older animals than in younger animals
- The surface layer of mammalian skin is called the stratum corneum, which is shed as part of normal skin replacement
- Frequent washing of animals worsens the problem because washing makes skin dry, increasing flakiness
- Up to a third of pet owners also suffer from pet allergies
- Even shorthaired animals shed dander and saliva
- Newborns exposed to household pet and rodent dander, among other things, during their first year of life appear to have a lower risk of developing asthma and allergies
1Coway air purifiers has been proven to trap dust, pollen, dander, viruses and bacteria in the air based on KCL (Korea Conformity Laboratories) testing.They have been tested in a 30㎥ size chamber according to the Korea Air Cleaning Association standard (SPS-KACA 002-132:2022 Modified) to measure the 0.01㎛ size of particle removal rate. It was tested on maximum airflow speed in normal room temperature and humidity conditions. The performance may vary in the actual living environment of customers.
→ Tested with Airmega Aim, 150, 160, AP-1216L, AP-1512HH, AP-1512HHS, 200M, Icon, IconS, 230, 240, 250, 250 Art, 250S, 300, 300S, 400, 400S, ProX
299.97% of viruses, bacteria, fungi and pollen were verified to be removed from the air for Coway air purifiers which have Green True HEPA™ filter applied based on the Japan Food Research Laboratories(JFRL) testing according to JEM 1467 standard.
→ Tested with Coway Airmega AP-1512HH, AP-1512HHS, 250, 250 Art, 250S, 300, 300S, 400, 400S
→ All tested by JFRL and received above result within below time.
All tested by JFRL and received above result within below time.
- Virus: Tested with Escherichia coli phage ΦX174 NBRC 103405, 60 minutes
- Bacteria: Tested with Staphylococcus epidermidis NBRC 12993, 60 minutes
- Fungi/Mold: Tested with Penicillium citrinum NBRC 6352, 60 minutes
- Pollen: Tested with Cedar Pollen extract, 60 minutes
3Aerosol test conducted in a Biosafety level 3 laboratory with two Coway air purifier models, Coway Airmega 250 and 400 for removal of SARS-CoV-2 Aerosol by US based MRI Global, a not-for-profit laboratory and partner of US Department of Defense. The test was conducted in a 13.1ft3 chamber. Virus was aerosolized for 15 minutes and the product was turned on high for 2 minutes. Result showed each product effectively removed over 99.98% of the SARS-CoV-2 in 2 minutes. This is a result from a laboratory experiment condition and result may vary in different conditions. This result does not imply it kills SARS-CoV-2 or prevents the transmission of Covid-19. Coway Airmega 250S and 400S are identical to the tested models and has equal performance with an additional mobile connectivity function.
4The concentration of ammonia, acetaldehyde and acetic acid were proven to be removed within 30 minutes by FCG Research Institute, Inc. Human Life Science Lab. It is not a demonstration result in the actual use space. Not all odors and gases may be supported. → Tested with Coway Airmega 150, 160, AP-1512HH, AP-1512HHS, 400, 400S
5The coverage area of the air purifier is based on an area where the air cleaner can make two air changes per hour (ACPH). An air change per hour translates to how many times an air purifier can clean an area, assuming the height of a ceiling to be 8 ft, in one hour. Therefore ** means two air changes per hour means that the cleaner can clean the area once every 30 minutes and * means air changes per hour means that the air purifier can clean the area once every 60 minutes.
10Terms and conditions apply. Discounts, including promotions, coupons, and bundle pricing, cannot be stacked on top of other coupons. During promotional periods, discount codes will not be able to be applied to orders. Promo codes may apply to products only—filters, accessories, and new products within 3 months of the release date are not included.